Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Scourge of Social Media

Is Social Media a necessary evil?  Yes, unless you have one of the big six publishing house marketing juggernauts telling everyone how absolutely wonderful your new novel is.

Hello, my name is William Brian Johnson and my novel Hell to Pay is freaking awesome!
http://tinyurl.com/4yzb32k

You don't know me, I made a comparison to nothing, I've used an exclamation point, that may be a link to a virus, and you probably clicked off this.

People like photos and catchy lines.





A man who thinks he's losing his soul, meets a man who has.
Hell To Pay
from Amazon.com at http://tinyurl.com/4yzb32k

Did I grab your attention or did you just check your Facebook status?







I've talked on this blog about storm chasing, gateways to Hell, and my meeting with a serial killer.  Does that make me interesting?  Maybe.  I'm a regular guy that has some interesting stories to tell, looking for an audience to pay attention.  The question is, how do I grab you and keep you coming back?

Facebook talks to all my friends and family.
Twitter had me linked to a whole bunch of celebrities.
Tribrr has a good writerly friends that post each others blogs in hope that someone reads it.
Pintrist and Flickr are great for my photos and occasional strange grabs.
Goodreads are once again friends and writer folk I've met.
I've bloghopped and met some great people, but am I only meeting other writers also selling wares?

Don't get me wrong, I've talked with some great and interesting people in social media.  Some who I've followed for decades and received personal responses, but how to I talk to the readers?

That's what I'm still investigating.

Do you have a comment on this?  Leave one below, I would love to hear from you.


1 comment:

  1. I'm totally hearing you. For the record, I found this post very interesting and I shall be back. Fellow writer who has, for the past few years, only read works by bloggy friends. It's kept me entertained and I don't feel at all socially stunted not to have read Hunger Games or 50 Shades of Gray. So, I guess bloggy friends may equal sales...though I would like to find more readers. If you find the magical solution, let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete